Did you find an interesting learning resource in Scientix teaching materials? If it is not in your preferred language, you can request a translation via the 'translation on demand service'. The service is free of charge and available only through the Scientix website.
How does it work?
If the teaching material is eligible for the service, a “Request translation” line appears at the bottom of the page of the specific teaching material. Whether or not a resource is available for translation depends on this criteria:
- It must be of direct use in class (only teaching materials and not reports or courses);
- Its licence must allow modifications and derived works. More details can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses;
- Authors or submitters of the resource will have to provide an editable version of the resource when filling in the upload form.
A user requests a translation by selecting the language into which he/she wants the specific material to be translated. This is done by clicking the language code under the “Request translation” line on the description page of the material.
When a teaching material has reached three requests for a language, the Scientix team will check the requests, and if accepted, it will be translated. The resources accepted for translation will be published on the Scientix portal after one week to two months, depending on the length of the resource. The requesters will be notified by e-mail twice. The first email once the resource is sent to translators and a second once the translated resources have been published.
Translations are available into the official languages from European Union countries, territories, and regions, and FP7 associate countries:
Only requests which fulfil the following criteria will be processed:
- User asking for translation must be registered on the Scientix website.
- The same translation is requested by 3 or more different users.
Priority is given to:
- topics which are not yet translated, as against topics which already have materials in several languages;
- languages in which fewer materials are available as against languages in which more materials are available.
How can you allow translations of your own resources?
Please note that to enable Translation on Demand of resources, only editable files can be uploaded of maximum 20 Megabytes (Mb) in volume. Please contact us if you have problems uploading editable files at scientix (at) eun.org