PROFILES: Professional Reflection-Oriented Focus on Inquiry-based Learning and Education through Science
PROFILES promotes Inquiry-Based Science Education by raising teachers' awareness of more effective ways of teaching, with the support of various science education actors.
The project aims to work towards a better understanding of the changing purpose of teaching science in schools and the value of science education stakeholders’ networking. PROFILES is based on “teacher partnerships” aiming to implement existing, inquiry-based science teaching materials.
Long term teacher training courses reflecting challenges relevant for the participants raise their skills in developing creative, scientific problem-solving and socio-scientific related learning environments, which enhance students’ intrinsic motivation to learn science and their individual competencies such as decision-making abilities and abilities in scientific inquiry.
The intended outcome of PROFILES is that science education becomes more meaningful for students and more strongly related to 21st century science and to Inquiry-Based Science Education (IBSE), and thus fosters students’ scientific literacy.
Country: Austria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom
Coordinator: Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, www.fu-berlin.de
- University of Klagenfurt, Austria
- Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus
- Masarykova Univerzita, Czech Republic
- Tartu Ulikool, Estonia
- Itä-Suomen yliopisto, Finland
- University of Bremen, Germany
- University College Cork, National University of Ireland, Ireland
- Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- University Politecnica delle Marche, Italy
- Latvijas Universitate, Latvia
- University of Utrecht, Netherlands
- Maria Curie-Sklodowska University Lublin, Poland
- University of Porto, Portugal
- University Valahia Targoviste, Romania
- University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- University of Valladolid, Spain
- Linköpings University, Sweden
- Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz, Switzerland
- Dokuz Eylul Universitesi, Turkey
- International Council of Associations for Science Education, UK
- University of Dundee, UK
Target groups: education authorities, policy makers, secondary school students, teachers, trainee teachers
Topic: Technology, Education
Start year: 2010
End year: 2014
Contact person: Claus Bolte, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, Claus.Bolte (at) fu-berlin.de
The goals of the PROFILES project are:
- to raise the self-efficacy of science teachers in developing up-to-date science teaching which follows current science research and innovations, and:
- to improve students’ attitudes toward science and this new, inquiry-based style of science education.
The dissemination of approaches, reactions from different actors and insights from the accompanying evaluation form a further key project target.
Reports and results will be available at a later stage.
PROFILES supports teachers in their professional development towards Inquiry-Based Science Education (IBSE) by providing an inspiring training programme based on existing science education resources and reflecting science education actors’ views and needs.
Through the “teacher partnerships” teachers can develop their skills in creating creative, scientific problem-solving and socio-scientific related learning environments, which enhance students’ intrinsic motivation to learn science and their individual competencies such as decision-making abilities and abilities in scientific inquiry.