EuroStemCell. Europe's stem cell hub: information, education, conversation
EuroStemCell helps European citizens make sense of stem cells. EuroStemCell provides reliable, independent information and road-tested educational resources on stem cells and their impact on society.
The EuroStemCell project unites more than 90 European stem cell and regenerative medicine research labs in a coordinated effort to engage with the public about their research. The project provides accurate information on stem cell research, but also encourages real dialogue between scientists and the public. The goal is to enable people to understand, question and form opinions on the science.
EuroStemCell’s membership of scientists, clinicians, specialist communicators, science museums and educators work together to develop the EuroStemCell.org website into a dynamic, multilingual information hub. The site provides current analyses of the latest scientific developments, ethical issues and regulations. It will also develop and act as a central repository for stem cell resources, teaching tools and activities.
Country: Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
Coordinator: Dr Clare Blackburn, Centre for Regenerative Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK www.crm.ed.ac.uk
- life & brain, Germany
- Remedi, Regenerative Medicine Institute, Ireland
- NUI Galway, Ireland
- Università Degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- CRG, Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain
- Lund University, Sweden
- University of Cambridge, UK
- University of Edinburgh, UK
- University of Sheffield, UK
- UK Association for Science and Discovery Centres, UK
- ESRC genomics network, UK
- Center for Beta Cell Therapy in Diabetes
- Ecrin, European Clinical Research Infrastructures Network
Target groups: college students, general public, primary school students, researchers, secondary school students, teachers
Topic: Biology, Biomedicine, Biotechnology, Genetics, Medical sciences, Education
Start year: 2010
End year: 2014
Contact person: Danielle Nicholson, danielle.nicholson (at) nuigalway.ie
For researchers and stem cell scientists the EuroStemCell website provides a separate section, with the following content:
- Access to stem cell databases:
- Stem DB, a database of stem cell information and gene expression data, references and reports
- STEMdirect, a directory of stem cell research scientists in Europe
- Featured commentaries on the latest developments in stem cell research
- Events of interest to the European stem cell community
- Job ads
See more at http://www.eurostemcell.org/research
The EuroStemCell website provides stem cell resources, teaching tools and activities for schools. Materials include short films, lesson plans, quizzes, discussion activities and tools for events and larger scale projects. The resources look at the different aspects of the stem cell research and its impact on society, and help bring schools and stem cell scientists together.
New materials from the project partners are under development and many resources will be translated into multiple languages. Also available is an assemblage of stem cell resources gathered from other projects, searchable by audience age group, resource type, or language.
See more at http://www.eurostemcell.org/activities