STEM out of the box MOOC: a STEM approach to non-STEM subjects
Would you like to learn how to integrate STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) in your lessons and help students develop deep scientific, mathematic, and problem-solving skills? Join this online course and learn how to introduce this way of thinking in early childhood education. Help your students develop solutions to open-ended real-world problems which will engage them in higher-order thinking and reasoning. You will explore practical STEM classroom activities and ideas, rooted in real-world problems. The course will guide you through teacher-created and tested lesson plans, resources, and challenges to increase students’ knowledge and skills needed for the future.
In the STEM out of the box MOOC, participants will:
- Understand the value of STEM in the classroom, regardless of the age of the students or the subject.
- Gain a well-rounded understating of the STEM skills needed for future careers.
- Explore how to teach STEM in the Early Years, Primary and Secondary school in non-STEM lessons.
- Learn about teaching STEM using real-life challenges and innovative pedagogies.
Date and registration
The course will be held online from 12 September to 19 October, with an estimated workload of 25 hours.
If you are an early-childhood educator or primary teacher interested in STEM or a secondary teacher who teaches a non-STEM subject (humanities, arts, literature and business studies), click the button below to join the MOOC.Register
Whether you are a course participant, a Ministry of Education, or a network organisation in the educational field: we welcome your support in spreading the message on this free online course.
To make communication as easy as possible, you can find materials to copy/paste on this page: visuals in various formats at the bottom of this page and social-media messages in the sidebar on the right.
If you prefer to receive all materials combined in a compressed folder, please click on the button below. This promotional pack (in English) includes a document with detailed information on how to promote the course in communications with your networks and audiences, as well as all visuals and suggested social media messages.Promotional pack
Behind the MOOC
Scientix, the community for science education in Europe, promotes and supports a Europe-wide collaboration among STEM teachers, education researchers, policymakers and other STEM education professionals.
This course has been developed by Scientix 4 (Grant agreement N. 101000063). Scientix has received funding from the European Union’s H2020 research and innovation programme and is coordinated by European Schoolnet (EUN). The content of the document is the sole responsibility of the organizer, and it does not represent the opinion of the European Commission (EC), and the EC is not responsible for any use that might be made of information contained.
Join us in the "STEM out of the Box" Facebook group or share your thoughts on Twitter using the hashtag #STEMOutoftheBox.
Below are a few select social media messages you can copy directly from this page to use in your channels. Or you can click the button to download a Word document with many more messages, which include colorful emojis!Download social media messages
- Make it Open and @ScientixEU have a new MOOC! “Make it Open Schooling” will introduce participants to Open Schooling as well as Maker Movement’s ideas and pedagogy. Discover how the #OpenSchooling approach to teaching and learning can be integrated in educational activities – particularly #scienceeducation – and be coupled with Maker pedagogy. Register for the MOOC and enhance your lessons: bit.ly/MiO-MOOC
- The new Make it Open and @ScientixEU "Make it Open Schooling" MOOC is out! It will open doors for you to engage external experts and local stake holders with your #OpenSchooling educational activity. Register for this new online course and enhance your lessons: bit.ly/MiO-MOOC
- Walk into the classroom and open the window to a greater education! In the new MOOC "Make it Open Schooling" you will learn about #OpenSchooling (OS), Maker pedagogy, as well as Inquiry-Based Learning, and understand how they can be integrated in your educational activities. Be one of the first to register here: bit.ly/MiO-MOOC
- Are you an educator who wants to start introducing #OpenSchooling as well as Maker Movement’s ideas and pedagogy in your school? Join the new MOOC "Make it Open Schooling" and create learning scenarios that can be put into practice immediately: bit.ly/MiO-MOOC
Make it Open and #Scientix have a new MOOC!
“Make it Open Schooling” will introduce participants to #OpenSchooling as well as Maker Movement’s ideas and pedagogy
Discover how the Open Schooling approach to #teaching and #learning can be integrated in educational activities – particularly #scienceeducation – and be coupled with Maker pedagogy
Dates: 9th January – 15th February.
Register for the MOOC and enhance your lessons: https://bit.ly/MiO-MOOC